Sunday 22 April 2018

#326 'Footbridge to Eel Pie Island' 9x12"


An early start up to Twickenham on Friday morning. I wanting to make the most of this glorious weather, although standing in full sun was quite hard work! 

I painted at Twickenham last July with the Wapping Group it was my first time with them as I was nervous I chose a simple subject:
In comparison this painting is quite complex! You can spot the foot bridge in both. 

I have been painting for 2 years en plein air now and I do feel more confident and so able to choose 'harder' more complex subjects. Also being able to complete it on site in a time that works for the changing light. This one took 2 hours. 

I was on a busy through fare with so many distractions its hard to keep focused for example there were very noisy geese fighting over bread tit bits & delivery drivers reversing inches away from me - I must have been painting on the spot! 
Also when you are out there you are game for the publics point of view. Usually people are so kind, friendly and considerate but occasionally you get a plonker who thinks they know better and has to give their opinion, I had one that day and it did rattle me a little. 
The light had moved around, so the bridge wasn't lit by the end of the painting.
I loved the light on the water, the sweepy blue bridge and boats in the shadows. A restful scene that I will revisit.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately you will always get someone who thinks they know better even when they have never painted a scene en plein air in their life.
    A complex scene but the important elements are beautifully described.

    ReplyDelete