Friday 12 February 2016

#32 'Large Mint Teapot' 7.5x9.5"

I elevated this teapot to see the squat rounded shape. It was fun to paint, broad painterly brush strokes and the gorgeous mint colour. 
I changed the board 3 times before I was happy with the preliminary drawing. It needed to fit the parameter well. It's on a canvas with a 'ground colour' already applied and dried - see pic below. I will use some more ground colours especially with light subject colours as they really show up well and it brings a unity to the whole as small parts of the ground colour show through.
I went for a strong dark tone of purple for the background, I wanted the lovely shape of the teapot to stand out.
Beginning stages of the painting...

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! From the preliminary picture, it is quite amazing how you achieve the sense of such a lovely, fat teapot; I suppose with the tonal range.... I also like the background of the canvas peeping thru in places. Good colour choice of background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painting is lovely but I absolutely love the colours! I'd very much like that teapot to make me a nice cuppa :-)

    ReplyDelete