Thursday 21 April 2016

'Bramshott Common' Sketch


Having taught the oil painting course this morning I didn't have enough 'quality' energy to do a painting this afternoon but wanted to get out as it was a lovely day. This view is just down the road from us (in Surrey.) 
I loved the sky and endeavoured to capture it in charcoal and conte pencil, it would have worked well in pastels too.

I drew the sky first, as it was changing but then I could draw the trees over the top.
I was facing directly into the sun so the view was 'contra jour' - it made the tree dark and silhouetted. I put the little trees in to give it scale and space. 

2 comments:

  1. Always good to sketch outside in nature. Nice feel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trees and sky, you can never go wrong! Simple but full.

    ReplyDelete