Wednesday 26 April 2017

Sketches of South Africa


Arrived back home yesterday from South Africa, a wonderful trip visiting my sister.
Pen & Ink, Table Mountain. We saw the sunrise over Table Mountain twice - It was so good we had to go back and see it again! Beautiful colours and I was itching to paint them.


We went on safari in Madikwe Game Reserve (up near the Botswana boarder). We stayed in an eco bush camp called Mosetlha, the stars at night were unbelievable! These group of African pots were outside in the couryard next to our cabins. Really strong shdaows because of the blazing African sun - I fried when I did the drawing! 
This was the same water soluble pen I used in the Table Mountain drawing but with out a wash on top.
Drawing lions

Really loved the game drives, saw so many animals up close (the safari trucks were able to go off road.) I took photos but I also wanted to try drawing the animal. Not reasy! As you usually had only seconds to complete it buy getting the general form down before they moved again. It was fun to do and I'm sure helped my observational skills.

I did the same thing at Boulders Beach in Cape Town where the wild African Penguins hang out. You can't help smile at them especially when they waddle about. It was blowing a gale when we were there and being sand blasted while I drew added an extra challenge!





2 comments:

  1. Simply cannot wait to see the paintings. I love the sketches, even managing capturing the animals so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sketch of the table mountain it looks complete in itself. It must be very hard to capture quick sketches of animals in the wild but you have the essence of them. Like ebbybow I look forward to seeing completed paintings.

    ReplyDelete