Friday 25 May 2018

#335 'The South Downs' 30x50cm


I went back to the same area as last weeks painting. I wanted to do it again and really study the tonal values and colours. I am pleased with how it turned out.

I will be using this painting for an article I am writing to go into The Artist Magazine. The title of the piece is 'Colour & Aerial Perspective', it will be in the January 2019 edition. I have subscribed to the Artist Magazine on and off since way back in the 80's & 90's so I I am very pleased to fulfil a wish of writing and being in the Magazine :-) 

Back to the subject:
I really like this area to paint, The Trundle, South Downs and have done quite a few now so I want to push myself and try a bigger painting. I brought a 120cmx50cm canvas, it arrived and its huge!! I was tempted to go outside and try it, but I am not set up for such a big support on my easel. So I will prepare as much as I can with drawings and plein air studies and have ago in the studio and let you know how it works out!

I was standing right next to a bush covered in white flowers, there were bugs galore - spot the bee flying past in the photo!

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking how good the aerial perspective is in particular in this one! That's such great news, Clare, well deserved, many congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo delicate and yet soo loosly painted!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be the 3rd time I have tried to comment on this painting; previously I clicked to publish and lost it. This is a superb painting. It seems every time you paint this view you achieve another dimension.

    ReplyDelete