Wednesday 10 January 2018

#282 'Bosham Channel' 8x18"


A gorgeous morning ones of those days when everything works out and even the painting! 
I went with painting friend Sarah Manolescue, the sun was low and contra jour with great sparkling light on the water.
These are the first stages see pic below:
I put in the light on the water and the sky first, as they would change the quickest. 
The sun on the water was so bright I looked up to try and observe whats there and looking back at the board and my eyes were dazzled and couldn't see the board surface or palette of colours! So when the sun went in it was good to see how it was looking :-)

The distant horizon line of land I put in quickly and roughly not too much detail. Just suggesting shapes especially the witches hat of Bosham Church.
The channel marker posts I tried to do in one sweep down of the brush, no fussing!
I enjoyed the bigger board size and used bigger brushes especially on the sky. 
The board - wood block, (see pic below) is different to my usual ones and gave a nice finish - it really makes a difference what surface you paint on to the end result.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful rendering of the quality of light. I like the movement in the sky and the distant village silhouetted on the horizon. The size of the board is perfect for this painting. Interesting comment on using wood block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look at this painting and I am transported to an earlier time probably late 19th century, when the impressionist movement in France was at its highest.
    Has wonderful quality.........

    ReplyDelete