Thursday 8 February 2018

#295 'Late Afternoon Reflections' 10x10"


I had a plan to paint the sunset at Emsworth (Hampshire), I had seen it recently and went back to paint a certain view. But on the day you have to choose what's good and yesterday it was these beautiful still waters, reflections and strong colours...
A lovely subject to paint, it makes a difference with how colour saturated a subject is by where the sun is. This time the sun was opposite the view, recently I have been looking more into the sun, which takes out the colour and makes it more tonal.

I enjoyed painting the colours of boats, although quite complex with mixing each colour and then separate but connected colours for the reflections!
The boats were arranged in this composition although they moved about quite a bit on the incoming tide. I took out a couple of boats to make it more pleasing.

A family next to me were feeding the birds they were going mad for the bread, the swans didn't get a look in.

I have managed to finish and upload a speeded up video demonstration of the previous painting, have a look at number #295 for the 40 second video....

2 comments:

  1. Don't often comment on your work Clare, but I have to say this Emsworth subject is truly stunning and captures the light beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply gorgeous; the reflections, colours of the boats and water; the backdrop of trees and sky just a perfect foil.

    ReplyDelete