Wednesday 31 May 2017

#182 'Table Mountain, Cape Town' 24x30cm


I made this painting from the drawings I did in Cape Town on our recent visit (see below). I didn't have my paints with me so it was great to actually paint it! 

Sunrise, with beautiful soft light on the mountain and deep turquoise blues and apricots of the sea and beach, a wonderful combo :-)

It did the painting in two stages firstly blocked in an approximate colour and tone of each area. When dry did a second layer of thicker paint and more closely observed. 
I drew the mountain in pen and ink 4 or 5 times, so when I came to paint this the mountain shape came easily. It was one of those paintings I didn't have to wipe off or redo anything, this doesn't happen often! I'm pleased with the final image.


2 comments:

  1. I love how the emphasise has been placed on the sea, rather than the mountain in this painting unlike the sketch which puts the emphasis on the mountain. I think by doing so Clare has created such a sense of distance from the shore to Table mountain and the colours are stunning. A truly lovely painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two brilliant works. Well done.

    ReplyDelete