Thursday 18 October 2018

#407 'Emsworth Moorings' 10x12"


I tried painting this boat about 2 years ago when I first started plein air. I drew it out onsite but didn't really know how to tackle it so it was left unfinished. A tricky boat subject!

This time a bigger board and lucky with the refections. Although I had very little time to get them in as the wind picked up as the tide rolled in. So I finished in the studio which is sometimes helpful when a subject is harder there is more time and less panic that the subject is changing!

The side of the boat (hull) in shadow getting the tonal value not too dark and still warm as well, The top of the boat was quite blue - in shadow but also reflecting the sky. I'm pleased with how it turned out. 

2 comments:

  1. A superb painting. Love the intense colours and thick paint. Great reflections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ebbybow. It was interesting having a linen panel it made me use thicker paint, Which I'm pleased with!

      Delete