Thursday 20 July 2017

#206 'The Thames at Twickenham' 8x10"


Yesterday I had my first day painting with the Wapping Group. Is the longest established society of working artists in the UK, started in 1946 and limited to just 25 members. I went as a guest you can go 4 times in a season. 

I felt quite anxious but they made me feel very welcome. Painting with such esteemed artists it took me a while to settle and had lots of doubts about my abilities! But once I started painting the boats and water I got into it and took a breath!
I decide to use square short flat brushes to do confident brush marks, and blocked in shapes. The weather wasnt grea, spitting, grey cold...so th elight was quite flat I couldnt hardly detemin where the sun was shining onto! 
I enjoyed painting with other artists and in an area I've not painted in before, being on Twickenham high street you wouldn't have known this scene was there, a hidden gem. 


2 comments:

  1. Well done for your first outing with such an estimed group. I like the painting very much, a good composition. The tree is wonderfully described and so is the water and cluster of boats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your artistic career is progressing in leaps and bounds Clare. I do like this painting, using square, short brushes really worked and you have conveyed the flat light and the water and reflections are great.

    ReplyDelete