Monday 24 July 2017

#208 'Paynes Boat Yard, Thorney Island' 24x30cm


My husband and I did a recce on Saturday for possible painting and photographic spots around Thorney Island (on the south coast of Hampshire). I loved this old boat yard so went back today. The owner was very friendly and even made me a cup of tea and biscuits while I was painting! 
This little harbour had a barrage weir so the water hardly moved up and down with the tide, soooo much easier than chasing the water in and out! The wooden boat is over 100 years old and named Teal.
The weather was changeable, wind, rain, sun... but not bad enough to stop.
I used a thin strip of wood to help me paint the straight lines of the mast. I know some other artists use a mahl stick or edge of a board. I thought I try it and it definitely helped make a much stronger line shape, I will use it again!
I'm pleased with this painting and will do more there :-)




2 comments:

  1. Lovely painting.......and so nice to see the stages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the composition of this painting, marvellous reflections and so much movement in the sky.

    ReplyDelete