Wednesday 6 July 2016

#93 'Tower Bridge, London' 8x10"


I wanted to make the most of being in London especially overnight. I persuaded my husband to get up at 5am (after the concert the night before!) and we heaved our equipment through London to the Tower Bridge view. It was a gorgeous morning, calm with great light shining onto the bridge.

I used a different board to the day before, with a lot more texture so the paint doesn't slide so easily on it, the finished result suits the subject matter.
I put in all the dark tones first behind the bridge, without those it wouldnt show the light tones of the bridge. I kept the colours quite limited to blue, brown & ochre which gives a harmony and quiet feel.
I'm happy with this painting worth getting up for and traipsing through London!


4 comments:

  1. Most definitely worth the early rise! I just love the colours in this one, of another iconic London view. The touch of a red bus on the bridge, I wonder if it was really there, doesn't matter if it wasn't. You have achieved a calm, early morning feel in this painting - love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work, Clare, you've captured that quiet atmosphere so well. Nice composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Caroline's comment about good composition. It must have been quite a complicated scene to paint but you have chosen the elements that are important to the picture and caught the atmosphere of the early morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clare, this painting is fantastic, so much detail and on such a small board, really capturing the scene perfectly. Well done!

    ReplyDelete