Thursday 21 July 2016

#99 'Beach Huts, Hayling Island' 4x15.5"


A hot day standing directly looking into the sun but worth it! Really enjoyed painting these beach huts, and on the panormic format. A lot of the beach huts were in shadow so I had to hold back with using saturated colours but still managed to get some turquoise and pinks in :-)
The board is not one I have used before it's a two inches deep wooden panel by Gerstaeker, I have only seen them on the Great Art website. I have just ordered more as it was fun to work on, and no need to frame.
The position I choose to paint was in a car park, useful as I didn't have to walk with my gear but as you can see from the pic below I had trouble with cars parking in my view! I must have asked at least 8 cars to move to another spot most people were very happy to oblige.
I was brought up on Hayling Island (in Hampshire) and only left when I was 30, so lots of memories driving around and painting it!


5 comments:

  1. What an unusual support, it must keep you on your toes trying different things and this works so well, I like the sparkle on the sea in particular. And the car, well, wow! Splendid is the perfect word. Love the greys showing the shine on the bodywork. A real beauty, Clare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Car comment meant for #98, oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline, It is an unusual support, so much so when it came in an order with other boards, I thought oh, thats a mistake! I didn't realise it would be like that, But I had a brave day and tried it and surprised myself, it was fun to use - have ago!
      Also thanks for the 'Alvis Car' comments, worked hard on getting the shine of the bodywork right!

      Delete
  3. The essence of summer in a painting - very inviting

    ReplyDelete
  4. My collection is growing, please add this one to it too!
    I expect at some point we have walked past though. It is the colours, with the sea and that reflection from the sunshine in the corner, it is perfection!

    ReplyDelete