Wednesday 28 June 2017

#191 'Mist Clearing, Ile de Re' 10x10"


I had completed a painting of this misty scene the previous day. It was a landscape board and smaller scale. I wasn't 100% happy with it. Luckily the mist came back so I was able to have another go...
When I started the tide was up and the mist thick. 
Mist simplifies a subject and brings the tones close together. 
I had to restrain the whites of the boat and not make them too poppy & contrasted. 
I didnt put too much detail in the background as the mist edges and shapes.
By the time I was finishing the tide was low and the mist cleared! 
I'm pleased with the water, blocking it in and not fussing back into it. 

2 comments:

  1. Very brave to do a Monet and paint a misty scene and I think you have pulled it off. I am very impressed with this painting and your depiction of the water around the boats is epic!

    ReplyDelete