Tuesday 20 June 2017

#187 'Fort National, St Malo' 8x10"

 
First painting of the Wapping Group & friends French 9 day trip. 
37 degree melting heat. Had to find shelter so I wedged myself into a turret on the old ramparts wall. See pic below. Someone said it looked like I had my own little Studio! People have been so friendly and really interested, I wish I spoke French, I can get the gist of basic but it's not the same as chatting with someone. 
I squinted my eyes to do the tonal values, which really helps to compare and simplify. The rocks I made a dark tone then added a light and mid to describe the shapes. The little yachts briefly sailed into my view then turned around a they were gone. Quickly got them in with their rescue boat. 

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely photograph of you plus palette and turret :-) For some reason, maybe because you are blogging on your old iPad, the picture doesn't enlarge which is a pity. Even so, I can appreciate the tonal qualities achieved and the overall result is excellent.

    ReplyDelete