Thursday 22 June 2017

#189 'Hollyhocks, Ile de Re' 8x8"

 
We are in the main town called Saint Martin on this picturesque island in France. The hollyhocks grow in the streets and are in full bloom and look gorgeous against the white washed houses and terracotta roofs. 
I painted the shape of the shadows first, then putting the lights in I adjusted the tonal values and making them cool or warm.
Really enjoying painting here, it's like a painters haven!
I have posted the stages of this painting on Instagram if you wanted to have look.
Clare BownArtist  is my page name. 

2 comments:

  1. I can feel the heat radiating off the walls. Your choice of colours convey the atmosphere and feeling of France in the Summer. You have kept your brushwork nice and loose and I love the hollyhocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely feel to this painting - all the essence of heat in a quiet back alley somewhere not quite on the beaten track. Distant sounds, but we are alone here for moment to savour. Terrific.

    ReplyDelete